Hannover Messe: World’s first Zero Trust OT security platform from Zscaler™
Zscaler, Inc. (NASDAQ: ZS), the leading provider of cloud security, and Siemens, an innovation leader in automation and digitization, are combining the Zscaler Zero Trust Exchange™ cloud security platform with Siemens devices to help customers safely and quickly digitally transform their Operational Technology (OT) infrastructures. Together with the flexible SCALANCE LPE processing platform, customers will be able to purchase the Zscaler Remote Access for OT directly from Siemens in the future. The new solution enables the secure management, quality control and analysis of OT infrastructures and their applications in production from any workstation at any location.
In today’s hybrid work environment and economy, the need for factory automation, higher production output and agile personnel for the administration of OT environments is greater than ever. At the same time, factories are facing increasing cyberattacks that can cause financial and human losses. The modernization and digitization of production facilities requires new security approaches, such as zero trust Access, which must be added to the traditional defense-in-depth strategies. With the help of an additional security layer through Zero Trust Access functionality, factories can reduce their risk. Remote employees who need access to distributed locations or connect to the Internet and the cloud have access to technological innovations that accelerate production output.
With the extension of Zscaler Private Access for OT, employees of factories, contractors and third-party providers can securely access factory systems remotely to perform maintenance, monitoring and other tasks.
“The zero trust principles are of enormous importance for smart factory initiatives,” says Herbert Wegmann, General Manager “Digital Connectivity and Power” at Siemens Digital Industries. “The operators of the plants are using digitization to comprehensively automate their production and make it more intelligent. At the same time, this goes hand in hand with a new dimension of connectivity between the factory halls and the Internet.“
“With Zscaler Private Access for OT environments, we are now providing joint customers with an integrated, highly secure approach that they can obtain directly from Siemens,” says Jay Chaudhry, CEO, Chairman and Founder of Zscaler. “Customers can now digitize their factories faster with the help of the additional Zero Trust security layer for OT infrastructures. Our product and go-to-market cooperation will help industrial customers reduce the downtime of their factories by reducing the risk of the required remote access for maintenance purposes. At the same time, you can protect yourself from the increasing cyber threats that you are facing today.“
The advantages of the secure OT remote access solution from Zscaler and Siemens at a glance:
- Secure remote access to factories and plants: Without regular updates, remote access by VPNs can pose risks according to CISA. Customers can now extend traditional defense-in-depth strategies through Zero Trust to provide secure remote access to factories and production facilities.
- Privileged remote access for internal and external users: Browser-based access allows authorized administrators to remotely execute commands in OT systems via secure and completely isolated connections. For this purpose, no agent has to be installed on the OT systems or software on the end devices.
- Seamless integration into existing OT networks: Docker-based app connectors facilitate the implementation of secure remote access to industrial control systems (ICS) and industrial network components.
- OT-IT convergence: With Zscaler Private Access for IT-OT access, users can securely bring their OT/IT worlds together.
- SaaS via a distributed, multi-tenant security platform: The first SaaS-based OT remote access solution is operated in the Zscaler security cloud as a highly scalable and stable service, which has over 150 data centers worldwide. On average, 200,000 security updates are deployed in the cloud every day, an average of seven billion threats are averted and the fastest connections between users and plants are ensured to protect factories – regardless of where the user accesses them.
Customers can find out more about the solution at the Hannover Messe HMI from May 30 to June 2, 2022 in Hall 9 D49 in the cluster “Availability and Scalability” or at the virtual booth of Siemens.